The Ayush Ministry is set to launch clinical research studies on the possibility of using ayurvedic medicines as preventive or add-on to standard care to Covid-19. The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) and the Ayush ministry are going to work together to test four ayurvedic formulations for the purpose – ashwagandha, yashtimadhu, guduchi peepli and Ayush 64.
The trials for these ayurvedic formulations will be done on health workers and people working in high-risk zones with the help of the Sanjeevani app. Around 50 lakh people to be tested through this app, a statement from the ministry said.
These studies will be done as a joint initiative of the Ministry of Ayush, Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Science and Technology through CSIR with technical support of ICMR.
Shekhar Mande, DG, CSIR, said, “Our objective is to try these formulations through Ayush perspective. Noting that our traditional knowledge is very rich, it has evolved over many years and can we approve or disapprove through modern sciences its use. If it turns out to be very effective against Covid-19, it will be an icing on the cake.”
“The (Ayush) ministry is also studying the impacts of Ayush-based prophylactic interventions in high-risk population and Ayush advocacies and Ayush measures for prevention of Covid-19,” the statement said.
It has set up an Interdisciplinary Ayush Research and Development Task Force with a group of experts under Dr Bhushan Patvardhan, Vice Chairmen, University Grant Commission (UGC) to formulate and develop strategies for this initiative.
The task force has formulated and designed clinical research protocols for prophylactic studies and add-on interventions in Covid-19 positive cases through a thorough review and consultative process of experts.
The ministry has also developed Ayush Sanjeevani mobile app for generating data of a large population with a target of 5 million people.
“The core expected outcomes include to generate data on acceptance and usage of Ayush advocacies and measures among the population and its impact in the prevention of Covid-19,” the statement said.
IMPORTANCE OF ASHWAGANDHA:
- Can reduce blood sugar levels
- Might have anticancer properties
- Can reduce cortisol levels: Cortisol is known as a stress hormone given that your adrenal glands release it in response to stress, when your blood sugar levels get too low.
- May help reduce stress and anxiety
- May reduce symptoms of depression
- May increase muscle mass and strength
- May lower cholesterol and triglycerides
IMPORTANCE OF YASHTIMADHU (Mulethi)
- Mulethi acts as an antacid and reduces free and total HCL levels in the stomach
- Has anti-inflammatory effects and anti-ulcer properties. It decreases the inflammation of stomach linings
- Can provide 50 to 75% relief from Aphthous ulcers within one day and complete remission of ulcers within three days
- Contains a Glabridin compound, which reduces colonic inflammation
- Is therapeutically helpful in sore throat, throat irritation, cough and bronchitis.
- Attenuates the inflammation of bronchi and soothes the respiratory tract
- Has potency to reduce serum cholesterol levels and hepatic cholesterol.
IMPORTANCE OF GUDUCHI PEEPLI (Giloy)
- Guduchi is recognised to accord longevity, enhances memory, improves health, and bestows youth. This herb, activates the immune system of the body, boosting immunity and promoting vitality in a person.
- Guduchi works as a detoxifier and improves complexion and luster of the skin.
- Guduchi has been preferred traditionally to treat ailments such as bronchitis and chronic cough.
- Giloy or Guduchi has the ability to detoxify your liver and help in proper functioning.
- Giloy is an excellent adaptogenic herb, which means that it helps in managing stress and anxiety by normalising your physiological functions.
- This medicinal herb is a health rejuvenator which is also widely known for its effectivity in enhancing natural immunity to fight against a number of illnesses such as fever, jaundice, skin diseases, constipation and tuberculosis
- known for its anti-inflammatory properties which provide relief while dealing with inflammatory conditions such as gout and arthritis.
IMPORTANCE OF Ayush-64
- This is anti-malarial ayurvedic drug, Ayush 64, developed by the ministry, use of sesame oil in the nose, and Tulsi, ginger, Guduchi (tinspora cordifolia) and turmeric in diet.
- Ayush-64 that claims to treat malaria without side effects.