A major gas leak at a polymer company in Visakhapattnam has left three people dead, including a child. Hundreds of villagers were rushed to nearby hospitals with complaints of headache, vomiting and breathing problems.
The Visakhapattnam gas leak took place early morning on Thursday. So far at least 3 people have died at a government hospital while 20 others are critical.
Local authorities have said around 150-170 people have been admitted in different government hospitals. Some others are also being taken to private hospitals in Goplapuram.
Authorities have said they are preparing beds for around 1500-2000 people.
Andhra Pradesh: 3 persons, including one child, dead after chemical gas leakage at LG Polymers industry in RR Venkatapuram village, Visakhapatnam. pic.twitter.com/zs4oWuN2KA
— ANI (@ANI) May 7, 2020
The gas leakage was reported at LG Polymers in RRV Puram, Naidu Thota area in the early hours of Thursday. Local administration and personnel of the Indian Navy were pressed into action who evacuated five nearby villages.
Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) has issued a warning for locals and said, “There is gas leakage identified at LG Polymers in Gopalpatnam. Requesting citizens around these locations not to come out of houses for the sake of safety precautions.”
The hazardous gas leakage has left many ill in the area and this has created panic.